Like what you see and want to learn more? Visit my business page!

http://www.revitalizewithstefania.com

Thursday, July 5, 2012

The Great Local Food Tour: Stratton's Wynor Farm

Saturday was our first day of exploring farms on the Great Local Food Tour. I have to admit, we had a bit of a rough start. The first place is only open for business on Thursdays, the second place had no on location sales (only at farmers markets), the third place was not open because they don't have anything  ready to harvest yet, and the fourth place we just could not find. So, I was feeling very discouraged. At Least I had snacks! 

Finally, we got to Stratton's Wynorr Farm and I was elated to have people to interview! I spoke to Lenore, and she was happy to answer my questions. 


Nothing they were selling at the stand had been grown there- it had come from their sister farm (Sunny Harvest farm in Lancaster.) But I still consider that local. 


Lenore said nothing they were selling had been sprayed- organic methods were used, but they do not have organic certification. She used the term "chemical-free." We were at their farm outlet, but they also run a CSA. 


We bought sugar snap peas, grape tomatoes, potatoes, onion, and a small DELICIOUS shoofly pie. I had never tried shoofly pie, but Chris is a huge fan and that was his pick for what to buy. Let me just say, I had a few small bites and LOVED it. Chris requested I find a recipe so we can try making it at home. 


After our little chat with Lenore and once we made our purchase we were back on the road again heading to our next destination. 






Are you a member of a CSA? Has anyone out there ever tried or even made shoo fly pie? Recipes to share? :)

No comments:

Post a Comment