Like what you see and want to learn more? Visit my business page!

http://www.revitalizewithstefania.com

Wednesday, August 15, 2012

Fruit Overload

What do you do with fruit that needs to be eaten ASAP, or else it will go bad? Make a smoothie, of course!

Smoothies are my go-to food. I can pack a ton of fruit, greens, "super food" powders, nuts, and seeds into them. I can make them high calorie, high fiber, high fat, and/or high protein, depending on what I am needing or craving. I have one every single morning, and it lasts me well until lunch time. Without one for breakfast, I feel lost. Yea, I suppose I could eat fruit, cereal, yogurt, whatever, and sometimes I do, but I almost always have to have a smoothie first. 


This smoothie came about because I had about a pound of strawberries to use up. Aurelia had about 4 or 5 of them, along with some carrot cake cookies, a cup of blueberries and an avocado for lunch. It was lunchtime for me too, so I dumped the rest of the strawberries into the blender, and started adding whatever caught my eye. The result is yummy! It made a good lunch, paired with some carrot ginger crackers and avocado.


Strawberry Almond Joy Smoothie (raw vegan)

1 pound strawberries (more or less, depending on how hungry you are)
1 1/2 cups almond milk (see this post for instructions on making your own! Note: I am now straining out the pulp every time.)
2 tbsp raw cacao powder (you can use regular cocoa powder if that is what you have.)
1/4 cup shredded unsweetened coconut, plus a sprinkle for garnish
4 ice cubes
sprinkle of cacao nibs for garnish (optional- you can use chocolate chips or shaved chocolate if that's what you have, or just omit altogether)


Blend everything (but the garnish) on high, making sure ice is incorporated. Pour into a large glass, and garnish with cacao nibs and shredded coconut. Enjoy immediately.



What do you do with excess fruit? And do you make smoothies? If you have a favorite recipe, link it up in the comments!


No comments:

Post a Comment