Like what you see and want to learn more? Visit my business page!

http://www.revitalizewithstefania.com

Friday, August 24, 2012

Butternut Squash Chips

I mentioned on Facebook earlier today that I had received a bunch of butternut squash from my mother-in-law's garden. I spent a good amount of my morning cleaning, peeling, chopping, cooking, blending, or otherwise preparing it. I like to do things in big batches so as to save time and energy, so I made it several different ways all at once. My mother in law had requested that I try making butternut squash chips, so that is one of the ways I utilized the squash. These chips were kept simple and savory. 

Butternut Squash Chips- original flavor

1 butternut squash, washed and peeled
good olive oil
Pink Himalayan salt 
fresh ground pepper

1. Cut squash in half and scoop out seeds/pulp. (Save the seeds- we've got plans for them in a future post ;)
2. Use a mandolin to slice the squash as thinly as possible. 
3. Toss them in a bowl with a good quality olive oil. (Flavors become super concentrated when you dehydrate- it is worth it to use a good oil here because the flavor will shine through.) Crack lots of fresh pepper in and sprinkle a pinch of the salt. Toss well to coat everything. 
4. Lay the slices in a single layer on dehydrator trays- use mesh trays, not Teflex sheets to ensure they dry as quickly as possible. 
5. Dehydrate as long as necessary. The thicker the slices, the longer it will take to achieve a CRISPY texture. 

Enjoy these addictive but healthy snacks!

Anyone out there make their own chips (healthy or not?) What are your recipes?



No comments:

Post a Comment