Like what you see and want to learn more? Visit my business page!

http://www.revitalizewithstefania.com

Tuesday, September 25, 2012

Roasted Squash/Pumpkin Seeds

So in every single post about what I have been doing with my butternut squash, I say not to throw the seeds out, but I hadn't gotten around to telling you how I roast them. So here it is! 

I used the same method for (giant) zucchini seeds, butternut squash seeds, and pumpkin seeds, and they all turned out about the same, and in my opinion, tasty. 

Roasted Squash/Pumpkin Seeds

1. Clean the seeds well, separating them from the pulp and rinsing them under running water.

2. Boil the seeds for 10 minutes in salt water. (I only started boiling them first after my sister in law Ambre suggested it, and the result was much better!)

3. Drain the seeds and pat them dry. 

4. In a bowl, toss them/massage them with a drizzle of olive oil and a generous sprinkle of sea salt. (I use Himalayan Crystal Sea Salt)

5. Spread them evenly on a cookie sheet so that they do not overlap. 

6. Roast the seeds at 325 degrees for 10 minutes. Toss them about, and roast another 10-20 minutes. (This could vary for you- some batches required more time than others for me. I just kept testing for desired crispiness.)

Pumpkin seeds in particular are packed with iron, magnesium, fibre, zinc, potassium, healthy fats, protein, and tryptophan (which can boost your mood and help you sleep). Vegans & vegetarians have been using pumpkin seeds for years as a natural source of iron. Be sure to pair it with Vitamin C to absorb the most iron you can.

No comments:

Post a Comment